This week’s topic from The Broke and the Bookish is my Top Ten Books I’d Want On A Deserted Island… I’m taking the liberty of assuming this also implies a desert island.
- SAS Survival Guide – apparently for any climate, any situation. Sounds about right.
- Man vs Wild by Bear Grylls – I trust someone called ‘Bear’ to tell me how to survive in the wild. Although on a desert island maybe I’d be better off listening to a guy called Lizard or Scorpion.
- The Ultimate Desert Handbook by Mark Johnson – Just in case Bear missed something.
- Sonoran Desert Food Plants by Charles W. Kane – Gotta eat, right?
- Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer – to remind me that you don’t really need much to live a happy life, and also to remind me not to confuse edible plants with poisonous ones.
So now that I’m alive and well perhaps I could crack the spines on books purely for pleasure. Here’s my desert island entertainment list:
- The Swiss Family Robinson by Johann David Wyss – I’ve seen the movie but never read the book. Seems like a perfect time and place to do so.
- Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe – I first read this as a kid and think it’s about time I reread it.
- The Island of Dr. Moreau by H. G. Wells – seems a good time to read this story, especially if strange things start happening on my island.
- The Beach by Alex Garland – after seeing the movie, I really wanted to read the book but never got the chance, until now – reclining on my rock in the sun on my deserted desert island.
- Green Arrow comics – Oliver Queen got shipwrecked on a pretty hardcore island and turned into one of the most formidable members of the Justice League. If a billionaire playboy can learn to be a superhero on a not-so-deserted island then so can I!
And for a gratuitous torso shot of Green Arrow (Stephen Amell, thank you CW Network!) because half starving for 5 years on a deserted island gives you abs of freakin’ steel, and impressive scars…
What are your top ten deserted island reads?