This week’s theme: Top Ten Favorite Kick-Ass Heroines, which is actually hard for me since I tend to gravitate towards male stories and male POV…
- Sorcha from Juliet Marillier’s Daughter of the Forest – she’s kind and gentle and remains that way even after terrible things happen to her. That takes a different kind of inner strength and I admire her for that.
- Lyra Belacqua from Philip Pullman’s Dark Materials – this girl has ‘tude and is fiercely loyal. Love her.
- Puck from Maggie Stiefvater’s The Scorpio Races – here’s a girl who’s not afraid of being the under dog, of having to fight for everything she has. She has more courage than most of the boys put together in this story!
- Elisa from Rae Carson’s The Girl of Fire and Thorns – married off to a stranger at 16 and sent to live in a foreign kingdom, this girl shows some real backbone in dealing with courtly duties, and her own kidnapping while orchestrating the survival of two kingdoms. What were you doing at 16?
- Callie from Lissa Price’s Starters – self sacrifice to save my brother? Check. Fight for my life? Check. Bring down evil mega corp? Check.
- Nya from Janice Hardy’s The Shifter – willing to do anything to save her sister regardless of the risks to her own safety, Nya is one determined and brave girl.
- Anna from Kendare Blake’s Anna Dressed in Blood – no, Anna isn’t really the heroine but she is super kick-ass and deserves to be on this list.
- Mahlia from Paolo Bacigalupi’s The Drowned Cities – this girl risks everything to save a boy who isn’t even her flesh and blood. She is determined, resourceful, courageous beyond belief and kind even to the enemy.
Ok, that’s it. I can’t find another two and don’t want to just randomly stick in two names I don’t believe in so I’ll have to leave it as a list of eight.
Who are your top ten kickass heroines?